Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo
Instant Pot chicken Alfredo is a fast and easy way to enjoy this Italian classic. Ready in less than a half hour, it is the perfect midweek meal that the whole family will love.
Who doesn’t love pasta smothered in a rich, creamy cheese sauce? It’s a hard meal to beat. The Instant Pot makes this classic chicken alfredo a super fast and convenient meal that requires only one pot and barely any effort.
Ready in less than 30 minutes, you can serve your family a home cooked, comforting meal just about any night of the week with very little effort.
And if you’re craving more chicken alfredo goodness you’ve got to try our keto chicken alfredo casserole (amazing whether you are counting carbs or not!) chicken and broccoli alfredo casserole, chicken alfredo zucchini lasagna, Shrimp Alfredo Pasta, and our chicken alfredo lasagna roll ups.
Use a jar of alfredo sauce or try our awesome and easy recipe for homemade alfredo sauce.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Olive oil – You could use canola oil if you prefer.
- Chicken breast – We use boneless, skinless breasts for this.
- Spices – You’ll need garlic powder, onion powder, Kosher salt, nutmeg, and Italian Seasoning.
- Chicken broth – The flavored broth gives the noodles a liquid to absorb.
- Heavy Cream – Don’t substitute in a lower fat dairy product. The heavy cream has enough fat in it to hold up to pressure cooking. Lower fat dairy products will separate or even curdle in the Instant Pot.
- Fettuccine noodles – You just need to break them in half. In a pinch, linguine works too.
- Parmesan cheese – We use freshly shredded for the best flavor and melting. You can get bagged parmesan, but avoid the non-chilled powdered varieties.
New to using an Instant Pot? Make sure you read our beginner’s guide on “How to Use an Instant Pot” to get started!
Here’s what you need to do to make this delicious pasta.
Step 1 – Cook the chicken. First, set the Instant Pot (we use the 6 quart Instant Pot model) to SAUTE. Once the pot has heated, add the olive oil and chicken.
Once it starts cooking, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and Italian seasoning in a small bowl before sprinkling the mix over the chicken as it cooks.
It should take about 5 to 7 minutes to brown the chicken. Make sure to stir it as it cooks and set it aside when done.
Step 2 – Prep the pot. When the chicken is removed, pour the chicken broth into the pot and use a wooden spoon to help scrape up any browned bits from the bottom. This helps prevent the burn notice.
Next, add the heavy cream and nutmeg and stir together and then place the fettuccine into the pot. To prevent them sticking together, we recommend fanning them out so there isn’t a clump.
Finally, add the chicken back on top of the pasta.
Step 3 – Cook and serve. Once the chicken is on top, lock the lid in place and turn the valve to SEALING. Set to HIGH pressure and select manual pressure cook for 6 minutes.
Once the timer goes off, press CANCEL and let the pot do a 5 minute natural release. Carefully turn the valve to VENTING and release the remaining pressure and open the lid.
Finally, mix the Parmesan cheese into the sauce with the pasta and chicken. The sauce will thicken as you stir.
Serve hot and fresh with your favorite sides, bread, or rolls.
The Cheese Matters
When it comes to cheese, quality matters. And for this recipe, you won’t get the best results using the powdered stuff found on the non-refrigerated shelves.
We recommend using a block of cheese and shredding it yourself. Freshly shredded melts much better than bagged cheese because it does not contain any additives to help preserve the freshness or prevent caking.
Can I Make It Ahead of Time?
We strongly recommend making it fresh. Reheated alfredo sauce tends to make it separate and become a bit oily. You can store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container, but you should plan to serve the bulk of it fresh the night you make it.
Looking for More Instant Pot Recipes?
- Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken and Wild Rice
- Cheesy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice with Broccoli
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- Instant Pot Ribs
- Instant Pot Brisket
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- More Instant Pot Recipes…
Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE. Once the pot has heated add the olive oil and chicken.
- In a small bowl combine the garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and Italian seasoning.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the chicken as it cooks.
- Brown chicken for 5-7 minutes, stirring as it cooks to combine it with the seasoning. Once done set aside.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot and use a wooden spoon to help scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the heavy cream and nutmeg and stir together.
- Place the broken in half fettuccine into the pot, fanning it out so it isn’t clumped together.
- Place the cooked chicken on top of the pasta.
- Lock the lid in place and turn the valve to SEALING. Set to HIGH pressure for 6 minutes.
- When the timer goes off press CANCEL and let the pot do a 5 minute natural release. Then carefully turn the valve to VENTING and release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and add the Parmesan cheese stirring it into the sauce with the pasta and chicken. The sauce will thicken as you stir.
- Serve immediately