Cheesy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice with Broccoli
Cheesy Instant Pot chicken and rice with broccoli is a super easy way to make a variation on the classic casserole. It cooks up in less than a half hour, which makes it a great family friendly meal for any night of the week.
This amazingly cheesy chicken and rice recipe is the perfect dinner solution. It’s super easy and comes together in less than a half hour.
It makes throwing dinner together on a busy weeknight super easy!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
When you’re ready to make this cheesy Instant Pot chicken and rice with broccoli, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Olive Oil – You could use canola oil if you need to.
- Chicken breast – You can also use chicken thighs but I prefer white meat for this recipe. You’ll need to cut it into 1 inch pieces.
- Broccoli – I do not recommend frozen broccoli for this recipe because it will become mush when you cook it under pressure. Instead use fresh broccoli florets. Make sure you cut them into bite size pieces.
- Onion – You can use either white or yellow onions.
- Celery – You can use chopped celery or chop your own.
- Garlic – You’ll need to either finely mince or crush the garlic.
- Kosher salt – Sea salt works well too.
- Chicken broth – You can use either regular or low sodium.
- Long grain white rice – You need to use regular white rice for this because other varieties, such as brown rice, need a different cook time.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – I love cheddar cheese with broccoli but you could also give Colby jack or Monterey jack a try.
New to using an Instant Pot? Make sure you read our beginner’s guide on “How to Use an Instant Pot” to get started!
Here’s how to make this delicious version of chicken and rice in a 6 quart Instant Pot.
Step 1 – Brown the chicken. After all the ingredients are prepped, set the Instant Pot to SAUTE mode and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil gets hot, add the chicken breast pieces and cook until browned on all sides. This will take about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the pot and set aside.
Step 2 – Cook the veggies. Add the onions, celery, and garlic to the inner pot. Cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the onions soften and turn translucent. Once they have cooked, make sure to use your spoon to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
Next, add the broccoli and the salt to the vegetables and stir together.
Finally, pour in the chicken broth. If there are any browned bits left on the bottom of the pan use the liquid to help you scrape them up and then press CANCEL to end the saute mode.
Step 3 – Add the remaining ingredients and pressure cook. Next, add the chicken back to the pot and stir in and then add the rice on top. Do NOT stir the rice in, but do make sure to press it down gently to make sure it is all in the liquid.
Place the lid on top and lock the it in place and turn the valve to SEALING. Set to HIGH pressure for 5 minutes.
When the timer goes off press CANCEL and let the pot do a natural release for 5 minutes. After a 5 minute natural release, carefully flip the valve to VENTING and let the remaining steam escape.
Once the pin drops down the lid is safe to open. Remove the lid and stir everything together.
Step 4 – Add the cheese to finish. As a final step, add the cheddar cheese and place the lid back on top of the pot letting it all sit for approximately 5 minutes to let the cheese melt.
Stir together again and serve hot in bowls or on a plate.
Can I Use a Different Type of Rice?
You can use any variety of long grain rice you like as long as it is white. If you use a different type, it changes the cook time. This recipe was made for long grain cook times.
How to Store It
Before storing, allow it to cool completely. Once it has cooled, place in a sealed airtight container. You can refrigerate for about 3 to 4 days.
If you want to freeze it, allow it to cool completely and then place in a sealed gallon freezer bag with as much air removed as possible. You can freeze for up to 1 month.
Before reheating, let it thaw in the fridge. Reheat in single portions in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes.
Or you can reheat it on the stovetop by adding a ½ cup chicken broth in a pot and then adding the chicken and rice. You can heat it over medium heat until warmed through.
Looking for More Instant Pot Recipes?
- Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes – Pot-in-Pot (PIP) Recipe
- Instant Pot Brisket
- Instant Pot Ribs
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- More Instant Pot Recipes…
Cheesy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice with Broccoli
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When the oil gets hot add the chicken breast and cook until browned on all sides, approximately 5-7 minutes. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onions, celery, and garlic. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until the onions soften and turn translucent. Make sure to use your spoon to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan as the vegetables cook.
- Add the broccoli and then the salt to the vegetables and stir together.
- Pour in the chicken broth. If there are any browned bits left on the bottom of the pan use the liquid to help you scrape them up.
- Press CANCEL to end the saute mode.
- Add the chicken back to the pot and stir in.
- Add the rice on top. Do NOT stir the rice in but do press it down gently to make sure it is all in the liquid.
- Lock the lid in place and turn the valve to SEALING. Set to HIGH pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the timer goes off press CANCEL and let the pot do a natural release for 5 minutes.
- After a 5 minute natural release carefully flip the valve to VENTING and let the remaining steam escape.
- When the pin drops down the lid is safe to open. Remove the lid and stir everything together.
- Add the cheddar cheese and place the lid back on top of the pot letting it all sit for approximately 5 minutes to let the cheese melt.
- Stir together again and serve.