Keto Alfredo Sauce
Keto alfredo sauce is an easy cheesy sauce for your favorite meats, veggies, seafood, or pastas. It’s a low carb version of a classic sauce that will make you rethink ever getting canned alfredo sauce again.
One of our favorite indulgences is Alfredo sauce. Believe it or not you can have this creamy Parmesan garlic sauce without worrying about carbs. At 3 grams of carbs per 1/3 cup this version of the classic recipe is keto friendly and just as delicious as the original.
You can serve our Keto Alfredo Sauce with Our Low Carb Shrimp Alfredo or with our Low Carb Alfredo Zucchini Lasagna. You could also use it on non-keto recipes like our Shrimp Alfredo pasta or Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Roll Ups (we won’t tell).
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
What You’ll Need
- Butter– Unsalted butter will allow you to better control the taste but you can use salted if that’s what you have.
- Garlic– A little bit of garlic adds the classic flavor.
- Heavy Cream – Don’t try to substitute half and half or milk for heavy cream. Both of those have higher sugar content and will make the sauce low carb, but not necessarily keto friendly. They also tend to make the sauce thinner.
- Parmesan – Parmesan is what gives this cheesy sauce its great flavor. It is also what thickens the sauce so that we can avoid any starchy thickeners.
- Ground nutmeg – Ground nutmeg adds a nice, subtle flavor to the alfredo sauce and helps make the sauce delicious.
- Salt & Pepper – Parmesan cheese is pretty salty on it’s own so you may or may not need to add any salt. give it a taste and see what you think! Start with 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper and add more as needed.
How to Make It
This recipe is about as easy as they come. It’s great for a quick sauce on a busy weeknight.
Prep the cream and butter. Warm up your cream to room temperature in a small saucepan, in a microwave safe bowl, or allow it to sit on the counter. Once the cream is warmed, melt the butter in a small pot. Saute the garlic for about 1 minute or until it becomes fragrant. Next, pour in the warmed milk and bring the pot to a simmer.
Add the cheese. Mix in the Parmesan cheese and nutmeg. Stir the pot frequently as you allow it to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes. Once the sauce has started to thicken, add in the salt and pepper to taste. Serve the sauce hot over your favorite meats, veggies, or seafood or mix it into you favorite low carb or regular pasta.
Cold cream can separate if added to heat when cold. You should warm it gently either on the stove top over low heat, for a few seconds in the microwave, or allow it to come to room temperature on the counter top. Using room temperature cream will help prevent separation.
Allow the sauce to cool completely. Once it has come to room temperature, pour or spoon into an airtight container. You can refrigerate the sauce for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Yes! Before freezing, cool the sauce on the counter and then place in a freezer safe container or bag. You can freeze it for up to 1 month.
When ready to use the sauce, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Heat the sauce slowly over medium low heat, stirring continuously until the sauce has warmed through.
Looking for More Easy Keto Recipes?
- Cheesy Baked Zucchini Casserole
- Low Carb Pizza Casserole
- Keto Chicken Piccata
- Keto Chicken Parmesan Roll Ups
- Keto Taco Casserole
- Keto Meatloaf
- More Keto Recipes…
Keto Alfredo Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 5 ounces Parmesan, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a pan. Add garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour the heavy cream into the pan and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Make sure to stir often so the cream doesn’t burn.
- Stir in the Parmesan and nutmeg and continue to cook until it thickens, approximately 8-10 minutes. You will know it is ready when the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of your spoon.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add to your meal or let cool completely if you are saving for later.