Lasagna Roll Ups
These Lasagna Roll Ups are an easy make ahead dinner idea based on my lasagna with cottage cheese recipe.
With school getting ready to start up again I’m always talking about what I do to make getting dinner on the table a little easier. Quick recipes that can be made ahead of time like these easy Lasagna Roll Ups are great. You can serve them in one big dish or freeze them individually for easy lunches and dinners!
When I’m making my lasagna rolls ups I brown my ground beef, drain the grease from it and then diced onions and garlic, and some pasta sauce and cook everything together for about 10 minutes. While the meat cooks I boil my lasagna noodles and then drain them and lay them out on a sheet of parchment paper. I make these lasagna noodles with cottage cheese because that is how my mom always made lasagna when I was growing up. Lasagna with cottage cheese is my favorite but if you prefer ricotta cheese feel free to use that instead. You really can’t make a lasagna roll up wrong.
How to Make Lasagna Roll Ups:
- Each lasagna noodle gets a little meat sauce and then a little cottage cheese. Make sure to only cover about 2/3s of the noodle!
- Then grab the end of the noodle and roll it up rolling towards the end without any sauce or cheese on it.
- Place your lasagna roll ups in a casserole dish with a little sauce in the bottom of it to help keep them from sticking.
- Once all of your lasagna roll ups are in the casserole dish top them with some more pasta sauce and a generous helping of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes remove the foil and keep baking for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
How to Freeze Lasagna Roll Ups:
I mentioned that you can make these lasagna rolls ahead of time and freeze them for easy dinners and lunches. To freeze your lasagna roll ups separate them into individual, freezer-safe containers (I put 2 lasagna rolls in each container) and put them in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat grab a container from the freezer, place the lasagna roll ups on a plate, and warm them up in the microwave. Time will vary based on the microwave but I do about 3 minutes on high if they are frozen solid. If they have been in the refrigerator and have defrosted it takes less time.
LASAGNA ROLL UPS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Dinner Recipes board!
Follow Home. Made. Interest. on Pinterest
Lasagna Roll Ups
- In a large pot bring water to a boil.
- Add lasagna noodles and cook until al dente.
- Drain water from the pot and spread noodles out on a flat surface. ( I suggest using a piece of parchment paper).
- While noodles are cooking brown ground beef in a skillet. Once the beef is mostly browned drain it and return it the the skillet.
- Add garlic, onions, salt, and 1 cup of the pasta sauce.
- Continue cooking for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- With the noodles laid on a flat surface spread 2 ounces of meat sauce on each noodle. Leave 1/3 of the noodle bare.
- Top the meat sauce with 2 ounces of cottage cheese.
- Starting at the end of the noodle roll it up rolling towards the bare end of the noodle.
- Add about 1/4 cup of pasta sauce to the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Place each lasagna roll up into the casserole dish.
- Pour the remaining 1 cup of sauce over the lasagna roll ups.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the aluminum foil and continue to bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.