This Lemon Icebox Pie is a creamy lemon filling baked into a graham cracker crust. It is one of the best summer pies you’ll ever make!
As much as I enjoy coming up with new and interesting recipes I really love getting to share classic recipes from my childhood with you. Today’s Lemon Icebox Pie was something my grandma used to make and it was always one of my favorites. I haven’t thought about it in years and the other day I was saying how much I like lemon desserts and it came back to me in a flash! Mmm, that smooth, sweet and sour, lemony pie with the buttery graham cracker crust. I swear I don’t think I’ve had a lemon icebox pie as an adult (guess I was too busy asking grandma to make her blackberry pie!). I had definitely never made one. Are they a southern thing? I still don’t know all of the answers but I can tell you this. I’ve now made one, it was amazing, and everyone who tried it loved it.
This pie is basically a Key Lime pie with lemons instead of key limes. It is so simple to make, just lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, and sweetened condensed milk for the filling, and graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter for the crust. The crust is baked first to let it firm up then you pour in the filling and bake the whole pie for another 25-30 minutes, until the middle jiggles but the edges don’t. That kind of instruction always confuses me but when you see it you will understand. The outer ring of the pie, about 1-inch wide, will be completely set, and the middle will jiggle when you give the pie pan a little shake but once you take it out and let it cook the whole pie will firm up. When it has cooled completely you cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for at least 6 hours (I suggest overnight). Then in the morning you have a beautiful, creamy, pie that is just the right amount of sour and sweet. Add some homemade whipped cream on top and dig in!
I had to take this pie to work just to make sure I didn’t eat it all myself. So glad I remembered it! I know grandma would be happy to see someone making it again :).
- 2 cup graham cracker crumbs (I buy the boxed crumbs but it is about 14 graham crackers ifyou are making your own crumbs)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1¼ cups fresh lemon juice (6-8 lemons)
- 2 14 oz cans sweetened condensed milk
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a bowl mix together graham cracker crumbs and sugar.
- Add melted butter to mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Pat the graham cracker mixture into a greased pie pan making sure to go up the sides to create a nice crust.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes then remove from oven and let cool.
- While the crust bakes and cools mix the rest if the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the crust and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the edges are set and the middle still jiggles slightly.
- Once baked, remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely before covering it with plastic wrap and placing it in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours ( I recommend overnight).
- Serve with homemade whipped cream!