Candy Bar Cookie Bars
Candy bar cookie bars use up all that extra chocolate you have laying around your house and turn them into delicious treats you’ll love!
Certain times of year candy just collects in our houses. During the Halloween season, the holidays and again around Valentines Day and Easter there is never a shortage of lots of chocolate for either of us.
One of our favorite things to do is combine all those sweets into one delicious candy loaded cookie bar. It uses up all the extras and turns them into something even yummier!
This is just one of the delicious ways we have to use up leftover candy after the holidays. You have to give our Witch’s Brew Brownies, Halloween Dessert Pizza, Halloween Magic Cookie Bars, and Easter Candy Blondies a try too!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
What is a Bar Cookie?
Bar cookies are a lot like brownies or blondies. Instead of forming small balls to make individual cookies, you bake the dough in a large sheet pan like you would a brownie. Once it is done baking, you slice the large cookie into rectangular bars. You can then serve them as is, with whipped cream, or with ice cream.
What You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need to make these decadent bars:
- All-purpose flour – you could try these with gluten free all purpose flour if you want to make them gluten free, but you may need to adjust the amount of flour slightly.
- Sugars – you’ll need both granulated sugar and brown sugar
- Baking soda – adds volume to the cake
- Butter – softened to room temperature
- Eggs – we use large eggs for the recipe
- Vanilla extract – we use real vanilla, but artificial will work too
- Salt – helps bring out the sweetness
- Chocolate chips – use your favorite, we like semisweet, but you could use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or even white chocolate chips
- Candy bars – “fun” size or whole candy bars, your pick, we use Snickers, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, and many other of our favorite bars to make these cookies.
How to Make It
Prep the oven and pan. Preheat your oven to 375° F. Next, grease your 15×10 inch jelly roll pan. You can use either butter, oil, or a non-stick spray.
Mix the ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together.
In the bowl of your mixer beat the butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract together. Add each egg one at a time, mixing each egg fully in before adding the next.
Once the eggs are fully incorporated, slowly add the flour mixture with the mixer on low speed. When all of the flour is mixed in use a spatula or spoon to fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
Bake. Spread the dough into your prepared pan. Make sure you spread it everywhere in the pan as evenly as possible. Bake the bars for 15 minutes.
Add the candy. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and add your candy bars on top. You can also roughly chop candy bars if you prefer. Once the candy bars on top, bake for another 5 – 8 minutes or until the bars are golden brown.
Cool and serve. Cool the pan on a wire rack and cut into squares once cooled. Serve warm from the oven or store for up to 5 days in an air tight container.
What is a Jelly Roll Pan?
Jelly roll pans are a smaller version of a rimmed baking sheet. Jelly roll pans have a thinner rim, which makes them great for making cookie bars but not as good for making roasts or baking goods that may rise.
Looking for More Easy Desserts?
- Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
- Pecan Pie Brownies
- Butterfinger S’mores Bars
- S’mores Brownies
- Gingersnap Cheesecake Bars
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake Brownies
- More Brownies and Bars….
Candy Bar Cookie Bars
- 2 1/4 cups Flour
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cups Chocolate chips
- 10 ounces Fun size or Whole candy bars, This is approximate you can feel free to add as much or as little candy as you like!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt stirring until it is well mixed.
- In the bowl of your mixer add the butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract and creamed together until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time mixing well in between each.
- Add the flour to the mixer one cup at a time slowly mixing it into the dough.
- Add the chocolate chips to the dough and fold in with a spoon or spatula.
- Spread the dough evenly in the greased pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove the pan from the oven and add the candy bars on top. You can add them as whole candies or you can chop them into pieces, whichever you prefer.
- Bake for an additional 5-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool pan on a wire rack and cut into squares.