S’mores brownies are a classic combination of marshmallow, chocolate and graham crackers made with your favorite box of brownie mix for an irresistible dessert!
Is there anything better than a s’more? In my humble opinion, it’s almost dessert perfection. Almost. The only thing that can make it better? Adding the toasted marshmallows and graham crackers to brownies.
Plus this easy dessert recipe means you don’t need a campfire to enjoy the flavor combination so you can indulge in the summer and fall treat year round!
We love taking a boxed brownie mix and making it something special. If you like these give our Pecan Pie Brownies, Brookies, and Pecan Pie Cheesecake Brownies a try!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
What You’ll Need
To make gooey sweets, get these ingredients out:
- Brownie mix – Pick your favorite and go. Also, don’t forget to have on hand the ingredients needed for the box mix.
- Graham crackers – We normally use plain graham crackers to make this recipe, but you could use the cinnamon sugar coated or other varieties if they float your boat.
- Marshmallows – We go for the larger size marshmallows and cut them in half for this recipe You could use the mini-marshmallows if you want, just don’t cut them in half. You could also get the flat marshmallows that are made for making s’mores if you can find them at your store. Again, just don’t cut those in half.
How to Make It
Prepare the brownie mix. In a medium sized mixing bowl, prepare the brownie mix according to the box instructions. If you have a homemade brownie recipe, you can follow that instead. Once it is prepared, set it aside for a minute.
Layer the brownies. On the bottom of a well greased brownie pan, lay a single layer of graham crackers across the bottom. Pour half of the brownie mixture over the layer of graham crackers. Next, lay another layer of graham crackers and then pour the remaining batter over the second layer of brownie mix.
Bake the brownies. Follow the brownie box’s instructions for baking the brownies. Be sure to preheat your oven, often brownies cook around 325 or 350 depending on the recipe. Once the brownies have finished baking, remove them from the oven.
Finish with marshmallows. When the brownies are still hot from the oven, carefully arrange the halved marshmallows over the top of the brownies. Switch your oven to broil. Place the brownie pan under the broiler for about 2 to 3 minutes or until they have started to brown and are melty.
Remove from the broiler and allow them to cool for a few minutes before cutting and enjoying!
Tips for Making S’mores Brownies
- Before cutting the brownies, lightly grease your knife with oil or with a non-stick spray. This will help keep the brownies and marshmallows from sticking to the knife.
- Use different flavored graham crackers for a slightly different flavor. For extra chocolate, try chocolate flavored graham crackers. Or to spice things up a bit, try them with cinnamon sugar coated graham crackers.
- You can skip the second layer of graham crackers if you prefer. I love the graham cracker flavor, but Melinda prefers to use only one and keep it a bit less messy. Either way works great!
- Keep a close eye on the brownies when they are under the broiler. Browned marshmallows can quickly burn in a blink of the eye.
- Don’t bake the marshmallows from the start. You may think you’re saving a step by adding the marshmallows on top before baking. This is a big no no. The marshmallows will over cook and become hard and not very tasty.
For this recipe, we use regular sized marshmallows that we cut in half width-wise. We then place them on top of the freshly baked brownies. If you want to use mini-marshmallows, you definitely can. Just spread them out evenly in a single layer.
Also, you can use the flat marshmallows made for s’mores. Just spread them in a single layer over the brownies too. No need to cut them in half.
When you bake marshmallows they first begin to puff up and then they begin to brown. Once the browning begins you need to keep a careful eye on them because they will go from perfectly toasted marshmallows to burnt in the blink of an eye.
This is why we use the broiler to toast them up nicely at the end. If you add marshmallows at the beginning of the baking they will puff, brown, and then become very unappetizing by the time the brownies are fully cooked.
Looking for More S’mores Recipes?
- Butterfinger S’mores Bars
- Halloween S’mores Dip
- S’mores Cupcake
- Easter Peeps S’mores Dip
- S’mores Popcorn Balls
- S’mores Cups
- S’mores Pretzel Bites
Like this recipe?
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes like this.
S’mores Brownies Recipe
- 1 box Brownie mix, + ingredients needed to make brownies
- 14 Graham crackers
- 18 Marshmallows, cut in half
- Follow the instructions on your brownie mix box to make your brownie mixture
- Lay 1 layer of graham crackers over the bottom of the dish.
- Pour half of the brownie mixture over the graham crackers
- Lay another layer of graham crackers over the brownie mix.
- Pour the remaining brownie mixture over the graham crackers
- Bake according to brownie package instructions.
- Remove from oven and place the halved marshmallows over the top of the brownies. Place back in oven and BROIL for 2-3 minutes or until marshmallows are melted and brown.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
These look amazing!! I’m a huge smore’s fan, I pinned this! Thanks so much for sharing!
Good gracious, these look fantastic!!! I don’t know what it is about s’mores, but sometimes, that craving strikes and it’s not that easy to go start a bonfire in your yard, ha! Thanks so much for linking up at Snickerdoodle Sunday- I hope you’ll come back with your latest makes next week!
Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)
I told you we loved your blog! Pinned. Amber has chosen this to be featured tonight! I think you have hit a homerun at our party! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls
Check it out…check it out!! You will be featured at our party, Teach Me Tuesday, tonight as well!! This is an awesome recipe!!
I love S’more’s! This looks like a wonderful way to have them at home! Thanks again for joining us at The Yuck Stops Here – see you tomorrow! HUGS
Just added to my must try folder great share!!!
Yum!!! Thanks so much for sharing with Adorned From Above’s Link Party.
Have a great week.
Debi @ Adorned From Above
We are featuring this post at this weeks Adorned From Above Link Party.
Debi @ Adorned From Above
Combining two of my favorite things in the world brownies and smores! Thanks so much for stopping by Creative Spark Link Party! We hope you stop by again today to link up! http://bit.ly/1ml6d2u
Thank you for sharing this smores brownie recipe post at City of Creative Dream’s City of Links last Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week 🙂
This looks so sticky and ooey-gooey. I love chocolate so this is right up my aisle! Thanks for linking up in the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party! Pinning to our group board.
I’m always looking for clever ways to serve up a delicious dessert with little effort. I LOVE this s’mores recipe!! Kids absolutely loved it, and to quite my five year old…”This is the best thing you ever cooked, Mom!” Home run! Thank you for the idea, I will definitely make this again!!
I’m so glad you, and more importantly the kids, liked it! Thanks so much for letting us know how it turned out 🙂
I mean this would truly satisfy my chocolate fix! Also Ooey and gooey! Gosh what could be better than Brownie and Smores! Please come join the party again today. Love to see what you’ve been up too! Great idea to make for the Grand kids.
I’m definitely going to try making this it looks so good
Looks absolutely delicious. Can’t wait to make this.
This looks a-ma-zing! I am going to try out this delicious looking recipe with my daughters this weekend. It looks incredible. Loving that it’s pretty easy to and fast to make too – perfect for relaxed Saturday vibes! Pinned it as soon as I saw it so I wouldn’t lose the recipe x
I hope you like it as much as I do!! It’s a personal favorite!☺️
Best dessert I’ve ever had 🍫 I would definitely have it again Homemade interest is the best!