This creamy, cheesy, King Ranch Chicken Casserole is an easy dinner recipe for busy weeknights. Layers of flour tortillas, chicken, and a creamy sauce make King Ranch Chicken a family favorite!
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
King Ranch Chicken Casserole is a classic casserole recipe that is super easy to make. The layers of tortilla, chicken, and sauce are packed full of Tex-Mex flavor so it’s a family favorite. My mom made it for dinner all the time when I was growing up and my sister and I still request it when we all get together and have dinner.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Why is it called King Ranch Chicken?
This popular casserole’s name comes from the King Ranch (one of the largest ranches in the U.S.) though there doesn’t actually seem to be any connection between the recipe and the Ranch.
How to Make King Ranch Chicken Casserole:
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add peppers and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add both Cream of Mushroom soup, Cream of Chicken Soup, diced tomatoes, and cubed chicken breast to the peppers and onions and mix together.
- Spray a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Add 1/3 of tortilla strips to bottom of the dish, then one layer of chicken and soup mixture, and one layer of cheese. Repeat this two more times, ending in cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes.
When the King Ranch Casserole comes out of the oven the sauce should be bubbling and the cheese should be melted and calling your name. Let the casserole cool for about 15 minutes before serving so that the casserole firms up a little. This isn’t one of those pretty casseroles that cuts into perfect squares so don’t worry about that part just grab a plateful and enjoy all of that creamy, chicken and cheese goodness!
Want more easy casserole recipes?
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Dinner board!
Follow Home. Made. Interest. on Pinterest
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup Bell Peppers any color, chopped
- 1/2 cup Onion chopped
- 10.75 ounces Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 10.75 ounces Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 14.5 ounces Diced Tomatoes and Chilies undrained (traditionally Rotel is what is used)
- 2 cups Chicken Breast cooked, and chopped
- 6 12-inch Flour Tortillas cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
Add peppers and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until they begin to soften.
Add Cream of Mushroom soup, Cream of Chicken soup, diced tomatoes & chilies, and chicken to the peppers and onions and mix together.
Spray 13 x 9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
Add 1/3 of tortilla strips to bottom of the dish, followed by 1/3 of the chicken and soup mixture, and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat this two more times, ending in cheese.
Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Disclaimer: We are not nutritionists. These nutritional values were calculated using online databases. Please use this as a guide only.