Make pizza night extra fun with this pizza casserole! It’s an easy pizza bake made with pasta, cheese, and your favorite pizza toppings.
This easy pizza casserole recipe is a simple pizza pasta bake made with penne pasta, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and all of our favorite pizza toppings.
The great thing about pizza is that there are so many different toppings. Personally, I’m a fan of supreme pizzas with green bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, Italian sausage, pepperoni, and black olives but my kids usually go for just plain pepperoni pizza.
Either way this easy casserole is delicious so go nuts and customize it with your family’s favorite toppings.
It’s a fun way to change up pizza night from the same old delivery pizza. We like to get creative with our pizza hotdish with French Bread Pizza Sticks, Lasagna French Bread Pizza, and even Pizza Wontons.
We even have a keto recipe for pizza casserole!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Table of contents
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Penne Pasta – We find these to work the best in this dish, but you can sub these out for any pasta of your choice.
- Pizza Sauce – Your favorite brand of pizza, tomato, or marinara sauce.
- Diced Tomatoes – You can use canned (drain them) or fresh.
- Mozzarella Cheese – You can sub with with the cheese of your choice.
- Parmesan Cheese – Try adding some shredded into your mix, but get some grated to sprinkle on top as well!
- Your favorite pizza toppings – Depending on your taste, mix it up and have fun creating!
Pizza is possibly the most customizable dish on the planet! If you can name it, it can go in a pizza. We recommend trying some of these in your pizza pasta casserole recipe.
Meats – Pepperoni, turkey pepperoni, ham, bacon, ground beef, ground turkey, diced or shredded chicken, sausage, Italian sausage, diced or shredded steak, salami, hot soppressata, prosciutto, meatballs, or buffalo chicken. You can even try seafood like crab meat or shrimp!
Vegetables – Fresh garlic, basil, green peppers, black and green olives, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, red onion, spinach, artichokes, jalapeños, pepperoncini, or arugula. We are not trying to start a fight, but you can even try pineapple!
Cheeses – Mozzarella, parmesan, feta, cheddar, Mexican blend, goat cheese, gouda, gruyere, ricotta, Romano, blue cheese, toma, parmigiano reggiano, provolone, Monterey jack, or pepper jack. Basically any cheese you desire!
Seasonings – Basil, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, oregano, pre-made pizza seasoning, rosemary, or even paprika! You can use seasonings to give your dish any flavor you desire.
How to Make Pizza Casserole
Step 1 – Preheat – Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Step 2 – Cook pasta – In a large pot of boiling water, cook penne pasta until al dente. About 10 minutes. When finished, drain pasta and pour into a large bowl.
Step 3 – Cook meat – While pasta boils, brown your Italian sausage, ground beef, or any other meat you have chosen which needs to be cooked in a skillet. Cook fully and drain grease.
Step 4 – Add other ingredients – To the bowl with your pasta, stir in 2 cups of mozzarella, pizza sauce, diced tomatoes, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, cooked Italian sausage, and any other ingredients you have chosen. Toss until fully combined.
Step 5 – Add to pan – Grease a 13×9-inch casserole dish and pour mixture into it.
Step 6 – Add toppings – Top with remaining cheese, pepperonis, black olives, Parmesan cheese, and any other toppings you have chosen.
Step 7 – Cover and bake – Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove foil and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
Make It Ahead of Time
Unbaked – Assemble casserole and wrap it tightly with plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 days. When ready to bake, unwrap and then cover with foil and bake according to the recipe instructions.
Baked – Bake the pizza casserole according to the instructions and let it cool completely before storing it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. When you’re ready to serve, cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake according to the recipe instructions.
How to Freeze a Pizza Pasta Bake
This pasta casserole is perfect for making ahead and freezing for later. Follow the recipe as written and bake it. Once the casserole has finished baking, let it cool completely then remove it from the casserole dish. Place it on foil to wrap it up or place it in a freezer safe plastic container.
Before you use the casserole let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
When you are ready to bake the casserole, unwrap it and place it back in the casserole dish. Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes – 45 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through.
To make this process easier I highly recommend baking the casserole in a disposable aluminum pan. That way you can wrap the whole thing up to store in the freezer and then reheat the casserole right in the pan when you are ready to eat.
Looking for More Easy Pizza Ideas?
- Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- French Bread Pizza
- Meat Lovers’ Pizza Keto Stuffed Peppers
- Low Carb Pizza Casserole
- French Bread Pizza
- English Muffin Pizza
- Pizza Tots
- More Pizza Recipes…
- 16 ounces Penne Pasta
- 4 cups Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- 28 ounces Pizza Sauce
- 8 ounces Diced Tomatoes
- 2 ounces Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup Pepperonis
- 4 ounces Green Peppers, diced
- 2 ounces Onion, diced
- 4 ounces Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pound Italian sausage, ground
- 1 ounce Black Olives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large pot of boiling water cook penne pasta until al dente.
- While pasta cooks brown Italian sausage in a skillet. Cook fully and drain grease.
- Drain pasta and pour into a large bowl.
- Add 2 cups mozzarella, pizza sauce, diced tomatoes, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and cooked Italian sausage. Toss until fully combined.
- Grease a 13×9 inch casserole dish and pour mixture into it.
- Top with remaining cheese, pepperonis, black olives and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove foil and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.