English Muffin Pizza
English Muffin Pizza is a quick and easy recipe for kids (and adults!). Mini pizzas made with english muffins and topped with your favorite pizza toppings are make a great after school snack or game day appetizer!
English Muffin Pizza is a fun after school snack for kids or an easy appetizer for your next game day party.
Toasted English muffins topped with tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese and you favorite pizza toppings. This simple pizza recipe is a classic kid friendly recipe. That can be baked in the oven, toaster oven, or even cooked in the microwave!
These were a favorite of mine when I was a kid. They were one of the first things my sister and I learned to make for ourselves and we made them as a quick and easy snack when we got home from school.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
You don’t really get much easier than these simple English muffin pizzas. I’m going to walk you through how to bake them in the oven or air fryer but you can also use a toaster oven. Just heat them until the cheese melts and you’re good to go!
Ingredients You’ll Need
English Muffins – English muffins have a unique, fork-split open texture which results in a rough surface dotted with nooks and crannies. You can use regular or whole wheat English muffins for your pizza.
Pizza Sauce – You can use pizza sauce or your favorite pasta sauce. Our recipe uses a red sauce but you can use a white sauce such as alfredo sauce or a green pesto or red pesto if you want to try something new.
Mozzarella Cheese – Mozzarella cheese is a must for any pizza. We use shredded mozzarella to keep it simple but fresh mozzarella is always delicious and you can also add a mix of Parmesan and/or Romano cheese.
Toppings – We use mini pepperonis in this recipe to keep things simple but the options are limitless. Use anyof your favorite pizza toppings to make delicious mini English muffin pizzas!
How to Make English Muffin Pizza
Step 1 – Prepare Oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Step 2 – Prepare the bread. Slice English muffins open and place on a baking sheet cut side facing up. Place the English muffins in the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes, or until they begin to brown at the edges. Note: You can toast them in the toaster until they begin to brown instead if you prefer.
Step 3 – Sauce and toppings. Remove the English muffins from the oven and place 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce on each, followed by 1 ounce of cheese and 5 mini pepperonis.
Step 4 – Bake. Place the baking sheet back in the oven and bake for approximately 5 – 8 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Step 5 – Cool and serve. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Air Fryer Instructions
Making an English muffin in the air fryer is super simple. You’ll have lunch ready in 10 minutes or less!
Step 1 – Prepare air fryer. Preheat air fryer to 370 degrees F.
Step 2 – Prepare the pizza. Slice English muffins open and place on cutting board. Place 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce on each, followed by 1 ounce of cheese and 5 mini pepperonis.
Step 4 – Bake. Place the pizzas in the air fryer and bake for approximately 8 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Step 5 – Cool and serve. Remove from the air fryer and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Topping Ideas for English Muffin Pizzas
English muffin pizzas offer a blank canvas for an array of tantalizing toppings. Here’s a list of ideas that you can mix and match according to your tastes:
- Classic Margherita: Tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella slices, fresh basil leaves, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Veggie Delight: Tomato sauce, bell peppers, red onions, mushrooms, olives, and mozzarella cheese.
- Hawaiian Punch: Tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, ham slices, and pineapple chunks.
- Meaty Feast: Tomato sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni slices, sausage crumbles, and diced bacon.
- BBQ Chicken: Barbecue sauce, shredded chicken, red onions, and cheddar cheese.
- White Pizza: Olive oil and garlic base, ricotta cheese, mozzarella, and fresh rosemary.
- Breakfast Pizza: Scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, cooked bacon, and spinach.
- Dessert Pizza: Spread Nutella or peanut butter as the base, add banana slices, a sprinkle of chocolate chips, and a drizzle of honey.
How Do You Keep an English Muffin Pizzas from Getting Soggy?
The key to keeping your English muffin pizza from getting soggy is toasting the English muffin halves BEFORE placing the sauce, cheese, and toppings on them. If you don’t toast the bread ahead of time the sauce tends to get soaked into the bread and it never crisps up during baking.
Before putting the sauce on place your muffin halves in the oven or in a toaster and toast until they are golden brown, then, proceed with adding your sauce and toppings.
Note: You don’t need to pre-toast your English muffins if you are using an air fryer. The circulating air gets them perfectly crispy!
Are English Muffin Pizzas Healthy?
English muffin pizzas can be a healthy lunch but that largely depends on the ingredients used and the quantities consumed. Here’s a breakdown to help you understand:
- Whole Grains: If you opt for whole grain or whole wheat English muffins, you’re starting with a base that is higher in fiber and nutrients compared to its white bread counterpart. Whole grains have been linked to numerous health benefits, including a reduced risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and obesity.
- Sauce: Homemade pizza sauce, especially one made from fresh tomatoes, garlic, and herbs, is typically healthier than store-bought versions which might contain added sugars and preservatives. If you’re buying a commercial sauce, look for one with a short ingredient list and no added sugars.
- Cheese: Mozzarella, especially in its whole milk form, can be high in saturated fats. However, cheese also provides essential nutrients like calcium and protein. Moderation is key. Alternatively, you can explore reduced-fat versions.
- Toppings: This is where you have the most control. Loading up on veggies like bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, spinach, or mushrooms can significantly boost the nutritional value of your English muffin pizza. If you opt for meat, lean options like grilled chicken or turkey can be healthier choices compared to more processed options like pepperoni or sausage.
- Portion Control: English muffins are naturally portion-controlled, making them a great option to avoid overindulging. However, be mindful of the number you consume, especially if you’re watching your calorie or carb intake.
English Muffin Pizza
- 2 English Muffins
- ¼ cup Pizza Sauce
- 4 ounces Mozzarella Cheese
- 20 Mini Pepperonis
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice english muffins open and place on a baking sheet cut side facing up.
- Place the english muffins in the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes, or until they begin to brown at the edges.
- Remove from oven and place 1 tablespoon of sauce on each, followed by 1 ounce of cheese and 5 mini pepperonis.
- Place the baking sheet back in the oven and bake for approximately 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.