Mint Ice Cream Oreo Tart is an Oreo tart crust filled with mint ice cream rich ganache. An easy mint chocolate dessert recipe for St. Patrick’s Day!
Yay! It’s my favorite part of St. Patrick’s Day. Dessert! Don’t get me wrong Irish Egg Rolls for appetizer and Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls for dinner are great but what I really look forward to is mint and chocolate desserts! I don’t even know why mint and chocolate are a St. Patrick’s Day thing but why look a gift horse in the mouth right? I’ll take any excuse to eat mint chocolate. In fact the only thing that is better than mint chocolate is mint chocolate and Oreo! I made a Mint Oreo Layered Dessert last year and it was delicious but this year I got a little more sophisticated with this beautiful Mint Ice Cream Oreo Tart.
The Mint Ice Cream Oreo tart crust is made from a mixture of Oreo crumbs and butter. I bake mine because I like a little crunch in my crust but you can go completely no bake with this and just put the crust in the freezer and letting it firm up instead of baking. The tart crust is filled with a layer of mint chocolate chip ice cream that fills the crust up about halfway. Then it’s topped with a thick layer of creamy ganache. The cool ice cream begins to harden up the ganache right away and the whole thing goes into the freezer to let it firm up before serving.
The soft mint chocolate chip ice cream paired with the slightly sift, rich ganache and the crisp crunch of the Oreo crust is amazing. It’s the perfect ratio of mint to chocolate and I may have eaten two slices right away. Don’t judge me.
- 1 pint Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, let it sit out to soften a bit before using
- 26 Oreo cookies
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 2 c Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1½ c Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor puree the Oreo cookies until they are a fine crumble.
- Melt the butter and add it to the cookie crumbs. Stir until the crumbs are moist and then press the mixture into a 9-inch tart pan covering the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake the tart crust for 7-9 minutes or until crust is firm.
- Let the tart cool to room temperature them place it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the crust from the freezer and spread softened mint chocolate chip ice cream over it evenly filling the tart about halfway to ¾ of the way up.
- Place the tart back in the freezer while you make the ganache.
- Heat the heavy cream in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until it begins to bubble.
- Remove and pour over the chocolate immediately, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Keep stirring to let the mixture cool slightly but not too long because you want the ganache to pour easily.
- Remove the tart from the freezer and pour the ganache over it using a knife to smooth out the top.
- Place the tart back in the freezer until ready to serve or at least 30 minutes.
Mint Ice Cream Oreo Tart isn’t just for St. Patrick’s Day but it sure would make a delicious dessert after some corned beef and cabbage!
If you’re looking for some more St. Patrick’s Day recipes try these:
Irish Deviled Eggs