Ghost Goo Halloween Cupcakes
These fun ghost cupcakes are our favorite easy Halloween cupcakes recipe filled with delicious cream and topped with simple Halloween cupcake decorations!
It’s that time of year again and we’re excited to share our spooky ghost cupcakes with you,
These easy Halloween cupcakes are made with the same doctored up chocolate cake mix we use for our triple chocolate cupcakes and then we filled them with a delicious marshmallow cream that makes the perfect ghost goo!
Halloween treats don’t need to be complicated, we love simple desserts like our nutter butter boos, mummy dogs, and Halloween rice krispies treats. With a few easy Halloween cupcake decorations we take these delicious cupcakes from boo-ring to boo-tiful!
Whether you’re throwing a Halloween party or just making the kids some fun treats to celebrate make sure you check out our other easy Halloween recipes too!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
You’ll need a few simple ingredients to make and decorate your spooky cupcakes.
- Chocolate Cake Mix – We use whatever is on sale at the grocery store so any brand will work.
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix – We use standard chocolate pudding mix for these but you can use dark chocolate if you prefer!
- Fats and oils – Instead of following the instructions on the back of the box you’ll add sour cream and vegetable oil to make the cake super moist and tender.
- Eggs – 3 large eggs give these cupcakes the perfect light, fluffy texture.
- Marshmallow Fluff – this is for the ghost goo in the center of the cupcakes and it’s totally delicious!
- Butter – Use salted butter for this to give that marshmallow fluff a little added flavor.
- Green Food Coloring – Whatever shade of green you want to use is fine. We go with something a slightly neon so it matches the vibrant green candy melts we use for the ghosts.
- Chocolate Frosting – Whatever can of grocery store chocolate frosting you prefer OR you can make your own. It’s up to you.
- Oreo cookies – You’ll need enough to make 2 cups of crushed cookies. Just buy a whole bag, you know you’ll eat the extras!
- Green Candy Melts – We use Wilton vibrant green candy melts. If you can’t find that color no worries, green candy melts work just fine.
- Marshmallow Ghosts – These are Halloween Peeps and they are so cute…I mean spooky…the kids love them!
Halloween themed cupcakes don’t have to be complicated. Follow these simple steps to make an awesome Halloween treat!
Step 1 – Get the oven ready. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2 – Make the batter. In a large mixing bowl combine boxed cake mix, chocolate pudding mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, and eggs. Prepare a muffin pan by inserting a cupcake liner in each cup. Once you have everything combined pour the chocolate cupcake batter into the cupcake liners. You’ll want to fill each one about 2/3 full.
Step 3 – Bake. Bake the cupcakes in a 350 degrees F oven for 20 – 25 minutes. You’ll know they are done when you can insert a toothpick into the center of a cupcake and it comes out clean. Remove the baked cupcakes from oven and let them cool completely.
Step 4 – Filling. Make the ghost goo filling by mixing the melted butter and marshmallow fluff together. Add green food coloring until you reach the desired color. To fill the cupcakes cut a small hole out of the center of each one making sure not to go through to the bottom. Fill the hole with the green marshmallow cream and place the portion of the cupcake you removed from the hole back on top.
Step 5 – Decorate. Frost each filled cupcake with chocolate frosting and then turn them upside down and dip them in the crushed cookies.
Tips for Decorating
- The #1 tip is to have fun with it! Guys, this is a Halloween cupcake. The kids are going to love it no matter what. Don’t sweat the details.
- If your ghosts are slumping over a little you can insert a toothpick into the bottom of each one, about halfway, and then stick them into the top of the cupcakes.
- If you can’t find Halloween ghost Peeps you can use nutter butter boos or large marshmallows. Add a couple of drops of melted chocolate as eyes, or draw them on with an edible marker.
Can I Make Them Ahead of Time?
Yes! You can make these up to 2 days ahead of time (you don’t want them to get stale). Store them in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. No need to refrigerate them if you used a store bought frosting.
Looking for More Halloween Recipes?
- Chocolate Covered Apple Kabobs
- Mummy Mallows
- Witch’s Brew Brownies
- Halloween Magic Cookie Bars
- Halloween Dessert Pizza
- Halloween S’mores Dip
- Caramel Apple Dip
- Frankenstein Mini Cheesecakes
- Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops
- More Halloween Recipes…
Ghost Goo Halloween Cupcakes
- 15.5 ounces Boxed Chocolate Cake Mix
- 3.4 ounces Box Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- 3/4 cup Vegetable oil
- 3 Eggs
- 7 ounces Marshmallow Fluff
- 2 tablespoons Butter, melted
- Green Food Coloring
- 16 ounces Chocolate Frosting
- 2 cups Oreo cookies, crushed
- 2 cups Green Candy Melts, melted
- 20 Marshmallow Ghosts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine boxed cake mix, chocolate pudding mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, and eggs.
- Prepare a muffin pan by inserting a cupcake liner in each cup.
- Once combined pour the chocolate cupcake batter into the cupcake liners filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and let them cool completely.
- Make the ghost goo filling by mixing the melted butter and marshmallow fluff together. Add green food coloring until you reach the desired color.
- Cut a small hole out of the center of each cupcake making sure not to go through to the bottom. Save the core that you remove and cut off a portion, leaving the top to act as a flat “cap” in the next step.
- Fill the hole with the green marshmallow cream and place the cap you created on top of the cupcake.
- Frost each filled cupcake and then turn them upside down and dip them in the crushed cookies.
- Melt the green candy melts and dip the ghosts in the melts about halfway. Press the ghost on top of the cupcake.