Frozen Mango Margarita
Frozen mango margarita combines the traditional flavor of the tequila cocktail with sweet fruit. It is the perfect summertime drink for everything from a quiet night on your patio or a barbecue with friends.
You can never go wrong with a cool, refreshing cocktail on a hot summer day.
One of our favorites? A frozen margarita. It screams summer and vacation and sunshine. This easy margarita recipe takes those good vibes even further by blending together sweet, delicious fruit to make an amazing frozen cocktail.
It will make any summer day feel like a mini tropical vacation so get your blender ready, break out the chips and mango salsa, and crank up the Jimmy Buffet!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commision. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This recipe is written for two servings but can easily double. Here’s what you’ll need to have on hand:
- Frozen mango chunks – The frozen chunks help to make a great frozen consistency for the cocktail. If serving a regular margarita over rocks, you can use fresh or thawed mangoes.
- Mango juice – You should be able to find this at your local grocery store.
- Ice cubes
- Alcohols – For this recipe, we use both tequila and cointreau (or another orange liquor).
- Limes – You’ll need both the juice from one and wedges from another for garnish.
- Coarse salt – This is to line the rim. You can substitute with sugar around the rim if you prefer
To make this, here’s what you need to do.
Step 1 – Prepare the limes. First, cut the limes in half and juice one of them. Cut the other lime into slices and then cut each slice in half.
Step 2 – Rim the glasses. Run one slice of lime around the rim of your glasses to wet the surface. Next, place the salt on a flat plate and dip the rim of the glass into the salt until the rim is evenly covered.
Step 3 – Mix the drinks. Place the frozen mango, mango juice, lime juice, ice, and both alcohols into your blender and blend until smooth. This will take about 30 to 60 seconds, depending on the power of your blender.
Finally, divide the frozen cocktail between the two glasses, garnish with a slice of lime, and enjoy.
Optional – Serve on the rocks. If you prefer a mango margarita cocktail served over rocks, then use fresh or thawed mango pieces. Follow the same process as step three, mixing all the juices and mango in a blender and then pouring over ice placed in salted glasses.
If you love this frozen cocktail, then you need to try some of these great variations to this recipe.
- You can also use a mix of salt and chili or granulated sugar instead of plain salt.
- To make a virgin version, substitute the alcohol with mango juice in the same ratio. For even more fun for kids, mix with fun colored sugars.
- You can also use orange juice instead of the mango juice.
- If you don’t like it sweet, substitute juice with water either completely or partly.
- If you want to make this a mango margarita served on the rocks rather than frozen, then use fresh mango instead of frozen or thaw the frozen mango before using. You then need to blend the mango, mango juice, tequila, Cointreau, and lime juice together in the blender until smooth. Prepare the glasses with the salt or sugar rims, add ice to the glasses, and then pour the mango margarita over ice before serving.
Can I Make it Ahead of Time?
You totally can if you blend everything and freeze it again.
Before serving, quickly blend it until smooth and serve immediately.
Since this is being served frozen, I would not recommend making it ahead and letting it sit at room temperature. If you are making the non-frozen (on the rocks) version, you can make it ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
How to Make a Larger Batch
This frozen margarita drink is super easy to increase if you want to make a big batch for parties and get togethers. Just double, triple, or more the recipe and serve. When we make this for larger crowds, we love using this pitcher and glasses set. It’s a great compliment to this frozen mango cocktail.
Looking for More Easy Cocktails?
- Blood Orange Mojito
- Mint Julep Spritzer
- Citrus Moscow Mule
- Moscow Mule Jello Shots
- Green Goddess Hard Lemonade
- Frozen Watermelon Bellini
- Spiked Peach Sweet Tea
- More Drink Recipes…
Frozen Mango Margarita
- 2 cups Frozen mango chunks
- 1 cup Mango juice
- 1 cup Ice cubes
- 3 ounces Tequila
- 1 ounce Cointreau or another orange liquor
- 2 Limes, 1 for the juice and the other for garnish and the rim
- Coarse salt for the rim, see notes 1 & 2
- Cut the limes in half and juice one of them
- Cut the other lime into slices and then cut each slice in half. Run one slice of lime around the rim of your glasses to wet the surface.
- Place the salt on a flat plate and dip the rim of the glass into the salt until everything is evenly covered
- Put the frozen mango, mango juice, lime juice, ice, and both alcohols into your blender and blend until smooth – around 30-60 seconds depending on the power of your blender
- Divide between two glasses, garnish with a slice of lime and enjoy
- Use a good quality salt, a flaky salt or sea salt is great. Crush a bit before using to make for smaller salt pieces.
- You can substitute granulated sugar for salt if you prefer.