Sausage Cream Cheese Dip – Only 3 Ingredients!
Made with just three ingredients and ready in minutes, this creamy and flavorful sausage cream cheese dip recipe is perfect for game day, holidays, or any occasion where good food and good company come together.
Sausage cream cheese dip is a classic party appetizer that’s been showing up at parties for decades. It’s a crowd favorite because of its creamy and savory flavors that go perfectly with chips, crackers, and vegetables.
If you have a little extra time you can even make it in your crock pot!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Pork sausage – this is ground breakfast sausage like Jimmy Dean. See below for other variations.
- Cream cheese – No need to let it soften the hot sausage will take care of that!
- Rotel tomatoes – We used the original recipe but you can raise the heat level if you get the hot version.
Want to change up the cheese? You can make our cheesy Rotel dip and add cooked sausage to it!
Step 1 – Cook sausage. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot add the pork sausage and cook until it is fully cooked.
Step 2 – Drain. Drain off the excess grease from the sausage and then put the cooked sausage back in the skillet.
Step 3 – Add the cheese. Cut the cream cheese into cubes and place it in the skillet with the sausage.
Step 4 – Add the tomatoes. Pour the undrained Rotel over the sausage and cheese and stir everything together.
Step 5 – Cook. Heat the skillet over medium heat stirring constantly until the cheese has melted and everything comes together approximately 10 minutes.
Step 6 – Serve. Serve immediately with chips, crackers, or vegetables.
Make Rotel Sausage Dip in a Slow Cooker
Making sausage cream cheese dip in a slow cooker is a great option if you’re serving the dip for a party or gathering, as it allows you to keep the dip warm and easily accessible for guests.
- Brown the pork sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat until fully cooked. Drain off the excess grease.
- Add the cooked sausage, cream cheese, and undrained Rotel to the slow cooker.
- Stir the ingredients together until well combined.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until the cream cheese is fully melted and the dip is heated through.
- Stir the dip occasionally during cooking to ensure it’s evenly heated.
- Once the dip is heated through, turn the slow cooker to the warm setting to keep the dip warm while serving.
- Serve the dip immediately with chips, crackers, or vegetables.
If crock pot dips are your jam give our Crock Pot buffalo chicken dip a try.
If you’re looking to switch up your sausage cream cheese dip recipe, there are several variations you can try. Here are a few ideas:
Spicy Sausage Cream Cheese Dip: Add some heat to your dip by using spicy pork sausage and a can of diced tomatoes and green chilies with habaneros or jalapenos.
Italian Sausage Cream Cheese Dip: Use Italian sausage instead of pork sausage and add some Italian seasoning, garlic, and Parmesan cheese for an Italian twist.
Bacon Sausage Cream Cheese Dip: Brown some bacon in the skillet with the sausage before adding the cream cheese and Rotel for a bacon-y twist.
Tex-Mex Sausage Cream Cheese Dip: Use chorizo instead of pork sausage and add some black beans, corn, and Mexican cheese for a Tex-Mex flair.
Buffalo Chicken Sausage Cream Cheese Dip: Swap out the pork sausage for ground chicken, add some buffalo sauce and blue cheese dressing, and top with some chopped celery for a buffalo chicken dip with a twist.
These variations are just a few ideas to get you started. Feel free to experiment with different ingredients and flavors to make the dip your own.
When to Serve It
Sausage cream cheese dip is a versatile and crowd-pleasing appetizer that can be served on a variety of occasions. Here are some of the best occasions to serve this dip:
- Parties: This dip is perfect for parties such as birthdays, holidays, and game day gatherings. It’s a great addition to any appetizer spread and is sure to be a hit with your guests.
- Potlucks: If you’re attending a potluck or hosting one, this dip is a great option. It’s easy to transport and can be reheated quickly, making it a convenient dish to bring along.
- Movie nights: Whether you’re hosting a movie night with friends or having a cozy night in with your family, this dip is a great snack option to have on hand.
- Family gatherings: Sausage cream cheese dip is a comfort food that’s perfect for family gatherings such as reunions, picnics, and barbecues.
Overall, sausage cream cheese dip is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed on a variety of occasions and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser no matter where you serve it.
What to Serve It With
Sausage cream cheese dip with Rotel is a versatile appetizer that pairs well with a variety of dippers. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Chips: Serve the dip with tortilla chips, potato chips, or any other crunchy chip you prefer.
- Crackers: You can also serve the dip with crackers, such as butter crackers or wheat crackers.
- Vegetables: For a healthier option, serve the dip with fresh vegetables like carrots, celery, bell peppers, or cucumbers.
- Bread: You can also serve the dip with toasted bread, baguette slices, or even pita bread.
- Toppings: Sprinkle some shredded cheese or chopped green onions on top of the dip for added flavor and presentation.
No matter how you serve it, this dip is sure to be a hit at your next party or gathering. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Sausage cream cheese dip can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days if stored properly in an airtight container. However, it’s best to consume it within 2-3 days for optimal freshness and flavor.
Yes, sausage cream cheese dip can be frozen. To freeze, allow the dip to cool completely and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container or plastic bag. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw the dip in the refrigerator overnight and reheat it in the microwave or on the stove.
How to Store and Reheat
To store the dip, transfer it to an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. The dip can be stored for up to 4-5 days, but it’s best to consume it within 2-3 days for optimal freshness and flavor.
To reheat the dip, you can either use the microwave or the stovetop.
For the microwave, transfer a portion of the dip to a microwave-safe dish and heat it for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until the desired temperature is reached.
For the stovetop, transfer the dip to a small saucepan and heat it over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it’s heated through. Avoid overheating the dip as this can cause the cheese to become stringy and the texture to become lumpy.
It’s important to note that if the dip has been left out at room temperature for more than 2 hours, it’s best to discard it as it can cause foodborne illness.
Looking for More Easy Dip Recipes?
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip
- Creamy Cannoli Dip
- Avocado Hummus Dip
- Keto Chicken Artichoke Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe (Oven)
- Creamy Jalapeno Corn Dip
- 5 Layer Greek Dip
- Mississippi Sin Dip
Sausage Cream Cheese Dip
- 1 pound Pork sausage
- 8 ounces Cream cheese
- 10 ounces Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies (1 can), undrained
- In a skillet over medium-high heat cook the pork sausage until it is fully cooked. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Drain off the excess grease, then put the cooked sausage back in the skillet.
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and place it in the skillet with the sausage.
- Pour the undrained Rotel over the sausage and cheese and stir everything together.
- Heat the pan over medium heat stirring constantly until the cheese is fully melted and everything comes togehter. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with chips, crackers, or vegetables.