Grilled Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple
Grilled teriyaki chicken and pineapple skewers are easy to assemble and throw on the grill just about any night of the week. These tasty skewers have a sweet and savory flavor that you’re going to love!
We love a good recipe that you can put together and throw on the grill. These teriyaki chicken and pineapple skewers combine the sweet and salty taste of teriyaki with the sweet flavor of pineapple.
Grilling the kabobs gives them an amazing charred flavor. I love putting some meat and veggies on a stick and throwing them on the grill. Our grilled chicken fajita skewers and citrus marinated grilled shrimp are family favorites as well as this simple grilled chicken recipe which heightens the flavor with pineapple and teriyaki sauce.
If you prefer or if the weather is bad and grilling isn’t an option, you can bake them in the oven at a higher temperature for a similar effect.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
You’ll need ingredients for the skewers and for the sauce. Here’s what you’ll need on hand.
For the skewers, you’ll need:
- Chicken breast – We use boneless and skinless for ease.
- Pineapple – You’ll need to core and cube the pineapple. You can also use pre-cut pineapple if they sell it at your local store.
- Veggies – For added flavor, you’ll need large squares of onion and green peppers.
For the teriyaki sauce, you’ll need:
- Soy sauce – We use the reduced sodium variety.
- Rice wine – You could substitute with apple cider vinegar.
- Cornstarch – This helps to thicken the sauce.
- Brown sugar – Brown sugar adds sweetness and helps to thicken the sauce.
- Spices – You’ll need both powdered ginger and a clove of garlic.
Here’s how to make teriyaki sauce at home:
Step 1 – Mix the ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients.
Step 2 – Boil the sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the liquid thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
Teriyaki sauce is an awesome addition to so many dishes. We love it paired with the sweet fresh flavor of pineapples, like in this recipe and our pineapple teriyaki meatballs but it’s also great over beef and veggies like this easy sheet pan beef teriyaki
For the skewers, follow these simple steps:
Step 1 – Prep the skewers. To start, soak the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. This helps prevent the skewers from burning.
Step 2 – Prepare the chicken. As they soak, pour half of the teriyaki sauce in a bowl and stir in the chicken until well coated.
Step 3 – Assemble. Once the skewers have soaked, place the green pepper slices, onion slices, two cubes of chicken , and 2 to 3 pineapple cubes.
Step 4 – Grill. Carefully place the skewers on a hot grill and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through. If you prefer to cook it in the oven, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Prior to serving, brush the remaining teriyaki sauce over the skewers. Serve and enjoy!
How to Make it Ahead of Time
You can easily make the teriyaki sauce ahead of time and reheat before coating the chicken with it.
You can also prep the chicken, pineapple, and veggies ahead of time and store separately in the refrigerator until you are ready to make skewers.
If you want to add a little extra flavor you can marinate the chicken in half of the teriyaki sauce overnight before making the skewers. This replaces the step of coating the chicken with half of the sauce before assembling the skewers.
Note: You’ll need to throw away the sauce you use as a marinade once you have removed the chicken. It should not be used to brush over the skewers since it has been in contact with raw chicken.
What to Serve with it
This delicious recipe can be a starting off point to a great meal. If you are making a weeknight dinner why not try it with these Air Fryer Egg Rolls and serve it over some Instant Pot Brown Rice and serve with stir fry vegetables on the side.
Looking for More Grilled Recipes?
- Citrus Marinated Grilled Shrimp
- Grilled Chicken Fajita Skewers
- Balsamic Glazed Rosemary Steak Skewers
- Sriracha Grilled Leg of Lamb
- Tandoori Grilled Lamb Chops
- Chesapeake Crab Burger
- More Grill Recipes…
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple
- 16 ounces Chicken breast, cut into 1.5 inch cubes
- ½ Whole Pineapple, cored and cut into cubes approximately the same size as the chicken pieces
- 1 large Onion, cut into squares approximately the same size as the chicken pieces and pineapple cubes
- 2 Green peppers, cut into squares approximately the same size as the onion pieces
- 3/4 cup Soy sauce, reduced sodium
- 2 tablespoons Rice wine vinegar, can substitute with apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Powdered ginger
- 1 clove Garlic, finely minced
- Whisk together all ingredients except honey.
- Bring to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat and cook for 5-7 minutes or until liquid thickens.
- Whisk honey in.
- Soak skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Pour half of the teriyaki sauce in a bowl and add chicken stirring until the chicken is well coated.
- On each skewer place green pepper slices, onion slices, two cubes of chicken (about 2 oz of chicken per skewer), and 2-3 pineapple cubes.
- Place skewer on hot grill and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through.
- Before serving brush the remaining teriyaki sauce over the skewers.