Pineapple salsa is a bright dip that compliments your favorite Mexican inspired recipes perfectly. This refreshing salsa tastes great on chips or helps liven up tacos.
Looking for an easy way to liven up your meals with a tropical twist?
This pineapple salsa is a light, refreshing take on traditional tomato based salsas, like pico de gallo, that combines the sweet tangy fruit with savory veggies and seasonings.
It is one of our favorite dips for tortilla chips and like our mango avocado salsa is also great on tacos, burritos, chicken, beef, and fish.
If you love bright flavors and don’t like adding a lot of heat to your meals, then this is the salsa you have to try along with a glass of summer moscato sangria or a delicious frozen mango margarita.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Pineapple – We use a medium pineapple for the recipe, but they vary in size and shape so you may have extra. We also strongly recommend using a pineapple corer, it makes it super easy to use fresh pineapple. If you don’t have a corer, you can slice away at the outer part until you get to the yellow flesh. For a short cut, some stores sell cut pineapple in their fresh section.
- Red onion – Red onion adds nice color, but a white onion also works.
- Sweet peppers – We use both red and orange sweet peppers. If you use large sweet peppers, you may need to reduce the total number you use. Also, if you prefer a bit of spiciness, you can substitute in fresh or pickled jalapenos.
- Lemon juice – We use freshly squeezed for the best flavor and fresh taste.
- Fresh cilantro – Fresh cilantro adds a fresh flavor to the salsa.
- Tajin seasoning – If you can’t find this, check out the section below for how to make your own.
What is Tajin Seasoning?
Tajin is an awesome seasoning made with a blend of chilis, lime, and salt. It has a little spice and a bright burst of flavor from the lime.
In some areas you’ll be able to find it in your local grocery store, specialty grocery store, or you can always order it here.
If you can’t find it in your area, don’t want to wait for it to ship because you want the salsa now, or you just don’t want to order it, you can make your own homemade version. All you need is:
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Crystalized lime (we use true lime but you can also use fresh lime zest if you’re using it right away)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
Instructions: Making Tajin is easy! All you have to do is mix together all the ingredients and store until you are ready to use.
Follow these easy steps for a delicious salsa in no time.
Step 1 – Prep the pineapple. Remove the pineapple stem and peel then cut in half and remove the core.
Step 2 – Dice the ingredients. Finely dice the pineapple,sweet peppers, and red onion. Next, place them in a medium bowl.
Step 3 – Mix the salsa. Finally, add the tajin seasoning and lemon juice over the top of the diced pineapple and veggies and mix well.
How Long Does Pineapple Salsa Last in the Fridge?
Pineapple salsa can last up to 5 days in the fridge. Just make sure to place it in a sealed, airtight container. You definitely want to keep this salsa fresh and not freeze it. It does not thaw well if you freeze it.
What Can I Do With Leftover Pineapple Salsa?
You can serve pineapple salsa with your favorite Mexican inspired entrees and side dishes.
We love to make a batch and eat it fresh with tortilla chips. But you can easily add it over chicken, seafood, tacos, burritos, or over your favorite veggies.
Looking for More Dips and Salsas?
- Fresh Cranberry Salsa
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip
- 5 Layer Greek Dip
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Keto Chicken Artichoke Dip
- Caramelized Onion and Bacon Skillet Dip
- Roasted Corn and Jalapeño Dip
- 1 Pineapple
- ½ Red Onion
- 3 Red Sweet Peppers
- 3 Orange Sweet Peppers
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 ½ Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Tajin Seasoning, See post above for directions on how to make your own.
- Remove the pineapple stem and peel then cut in half and remove the core.
- Finely dice the pineapple,sweet peppers, and red onion and place in a medium bowl.
- Add the tajin seasoning and lemon juice over the top and mix well.