Lemon Cream Cheese Danish
This post first appeared over at Real Housemoms where I’m a contributor.
This flaky Lemon Cream Cheese Danish is an easy breakfast or brunch recipe made with puff pastry and filled with a creamy, sweet and tart filling.
Summer is here and that means lemon flavored everything is on the menu. I love it! Lemon is one of my favorite ingredients whether it is in a savory dish or a sweet dish. It adds a brightness to soups like carrot or asparagus, and it gives just the right amount of tartness to a sugary dessert.
When it comes to sweet lemon recipes nothing is better than lemon curd. It is sweet and tart and there are so many delicious recipes you can make with it. I like to make my own but if you are short on time I’ve even started seeing it in stores. It comes in pretty handy for whipping up a quick last minute dessert like our citrus cheesecake.
To make this danish I kept things simple and used a sheet of puff pastry dough. I rolled it out, cut strips in sides, and then spread a layer of sweetened cream cheese and lemon curd down the center of the puff pastry and braided the puff pastry closed. Don’t let the braid intimidate you, it looks complicated but it really isn’t. You just fold up the end piece at the top, then fold a strip of dough in from the left, cross over it with a strip from the right, and continue alternating back and forth all the way down the puff pastry.
When you reach the end fold the end piece in before finishing up the braid. Before putting it in the oven brush the puff pastry with and egg wash then bake it until it is golden brown. While it is baking make your drizzle. It is a simple mixture of milk and confectioner’s sugar. When you danish has finished cooking and cooled pour your drizzle over the danish and then serve.
You’d never believe it was that easy to make just looking at it! This danish is delicious and beautiful and absolutely perfect for spring and summer brunches or make it ahead of time for a lazy morning breakfast this summer. Either way you and whoever you share it with (I won’t tell if you keep it all for yourself) will love it.
Lemon Cream Cheese Danish
- ½ c Confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tbsp Milk
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon zest together until thoroughly combined.
- Unfold thawed puff pastry sheet and roll it out into a rectangle that is ¼ inch thick.
- Cut 1 inch strips down the left and right thirds of the puff pastry, leaving the middle section untouched.
- Add cream cheese mixture to the middle of the puff pastry and then spread the lemon curd over it. Fold the end of the puff pastry up and over, then fold the top strip from the left in towards the middle. Fold a strip from the right inwards to overlap the left strip. Continue alternating left and right down the length of the puff pastry.
- Make a simple egg wash by mixing the egg and water and brush the egg wash over the puff pastry.
- Place in a 400 F oven to bake for for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the pastry bakes make the glaze by mixing the confectioner’s sugar, milk, vanilla, and lemon zest together in a bowl.
- Once the pastry is cooked and has cooled to room temperature drizzle the glaze over and enjoy!
Looking for more lemon recipes? Try these!