Taco Mac and Cheese Casserole
This taco mac and cheese casserole is an easy taco bake recipe that gives your typical macaroni and cheese recipe a little Southwest flavor.
I love food with a little spice and Tex-Mex recipes are some of my comfort food recipes of choice. They are my go-to recipes when I need something delicious, filling, and quick. This is one of my favorites, along with our chicken enchilada casserole, chicken enchilada skillet spaghetti, and chicken tortilla casserole.
I also love easy recipes and this taco casserole recipe is just about as easy as it gets. Just stir together a few ingredients and pop it in the oven. Before you know it, you have a delicious meal that stores and reheats beautifully.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground beef – You can sub with ground turkey or ground chicken in this taco pasta casserole if you’re looking to cut back on red meat.
- Elbow macaroni noodles – Though it puts the ‘mac’ in mac and cheese, you can sub this with any hollow pasta.
- Onion – You can use white, yellow, or red for this dish.
- Seasoning – Chili powder, cumin, and salt. You can also add black pepper for extra spice.
- Canned Black beans – You will want to drain and rinse these before use.
- Canned Corn – Make sure to drain them.
- Salsa – Control your spice level by choosing your preferred heat of salsa.
- Sour cream – This will help give you a nice creamy filling in your casserole.
- Cheddar cheese – You can sub with Mexican blend if you wish.
Feel free to throw some of your own modifications into the mix. Try adding your favorite taco seasoning, garlic, fresh tomatoes, jalapenos, green onions, or green chilies to put your own personal spin on this dish.
How to Make Easy Taco Casserole
Step 1 – Preheat – Preheat oven to 350F.
Step 2 – Cook meat and onion – In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground meat and onions with a little bit of olive oil. Drain the grease from the cooked meat.
Step 3 – Stir in seasoning – Add the chili powder, cumin, and salt to the meat mixture along with 1/2 cup of water. Bring liquid to a boil then reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for 5- 6 minutes until it has thickened.
Step 4 – Mix ingredients – In a large bowl, add ground beef mixture, elbow noodles, black beans, corn, salsa, sour cream and 2 cups of cheese. Mix thoroughly.
Step 5 – Prepare dish and bake – Add the mixture to a greased 13x 9 casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes covered.
Step 6 – Add more cheese and bake again- Take the baking dish out of the oven, uncover it, and add the remaining cheese. You can add more or less cheese, depending on your taste. Put the dish back into the oven and continue to bake for 15 minutes uncovered.
Can I cook taco meat the night before?
Yes! Cook your ground beef and drain the grease. Let the beef cool completely, then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You can also make it ahead and store it in freezer. Cook your ground beef and drain the grease. Let the beef cool completely, then store it in an airtight freezer safe container. I like to use a gallon freezer bag so I can lay it flat in the freezer to take up less space. Let the beef thaw overnight in the fridge before using.
What to serve with taco mac and cheese
How to Store It & Reheat
You can easily store leftovers or pre-make the casserole.
Refrigerator – Let your casserole cool completely before storing it in an airtight container. It will last in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. To reheat, cut an individual portion and microwave for 2-3 minutes. If you are reheating the whole casserole, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes or until warmed through.
Freezer – Let your casserole cool completely and store in an airtight freezer safe container. It will last the freezer for up to 2 months. To reheat, remove from freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight.
Once thawed, cut an individual portion and microwave for 2-3 minutes. If you are reheating the whole casserole, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes or until warmed through.
Looking for More Easy Casserole Recipes?
- Pulled Pork Enchilada Casserole
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- Keto Chicken Alfredo Casserole
- Keto Taco Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Pizza Casserole
- More Casserole Recipes…
Taco Mac and Cheese Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a skillet over medium high heat brown the ground beef and onions with a little bit of olive oil.
- Drain the grease from the cooked meat.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, and salt to the meat mixture along with 1/2 c water. Bring liquid to a boil then reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for 5- 6 minutes or until it has thickened.
- In a large bowl add ground beef mixture, noodles, black beans, corn, salsa, sour cream and 2 cups of cheese. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the mixture to a greased 13x 9 casserole dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered, then uncover and add the remaining cheese (more or less depending on how cheesy you want it). Then continue to bake for 15 minutes uncovered.