Low Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu is an easy low carb dinner recipe made with cauliflower, ham, chicken, covered in a creamy dijon sauce.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Alright guys, after that minor detour thanks to those tasty Cheeseburger Tots I’ve been back on track and eating low carb every day. I love eating low carb because I still get to eat rich, hearty food like this Low Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu all I have to do is find a few low carb substitutions. Chicken cordon bleu is usually lightly breaded and the creamy sauce is thickened with flour. When I turned it into a casserole I knew I would need to figure out a way to thicken the sauce enough to coat all of the ingredients and help them stick together. Enter Xanthan gum. It is a low carb alternative to flour for thickening sauces and thanks to all of the diets out there that don’t allow grains you can find it in most grocery stores. If yours doesn’t have it you can always get it on Amazon here.
Making the low carb chicken cordon bleu casserole itself is pretty easy it’s just a matter of a little patience while you create the rich creamy dijon sauce. Then you toss together some cauliflower that has been cooked just enough to be tender, and fully cooked ham and chicken with the sauce and spread it into a greased casserole dish. It bakes covered in a 400 degree F oven for about 20 minutes then you remove the foil and let it finish cooking so the Parmesan cheese on top (who needs bread crumbs when you have Parmesan?!) gets golden brown.
What you end up with is an amazing, creamy, filling casserole that is only 7 net carbs per serving! Definitely one of my favorite low carb dinner recipes!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add 3-4 cups of water to a large pot and add the chopped cauliflower to it. Bring the water to a boil and steam the cauliflower until it just begins to soften but still has a little crunch to it about 5-7 minutes.
- Drain cauliflower and set aside.
- In the same pot melt the butter over medium high heat. Add heavy cream, dijon mustard, and garlic cooking for 3-5 minutes until cream is warmed through. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the liquid whisking the whole time to keep it from clumping.
- Stir the yolk in a small dish, then add a bit of the warmed cream to it whisking to temper the egg and keep it from cooking as you slowly add it to the cream mixture whisking the whole time.
- Keep whisking the cream as it begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Add the Gruyere cheese and ½ cup of the Parmesan . Stir the mixture until it is fully combined and then let it cook for another 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the ham, chicken, and cauliflower to the mixture tossing it gently to fully coat it then spread it evenly in a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Top with the remaining Parmesan cheese and cover with aluminum foil before putting it in the oven to bake for 25 minutes then remove the foil and put it back in the oven to bake for another 15-20 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly and heated all the way through.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 15 minutes then serve.
Even if you aren’t eating low carb this low carb chicken cordon bleu casserole is worth trying. Let me know what you think!