This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias
Have a Low Carb Taco night with these cheese taco shells made from baked cheddar cheese formed into the shape of a taco!
Mexican food is my favorite…well I mean, I love pretty much all food, but if I absolutely had to pick a type of food I couldn’t live without Mexican/Tex-Mex food would be it. My favorite recipes almost always involve a can of RO*TEL, whether it is a spicy chicken taco braid or my King Ranch Chicken casserole.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Since I started eating low carb a couple of years ago I have had to find some creative ways to keep cooking with the flavors I love without using tortillas, chips, or taco shells. Taco salad or these Tex-Mex zucchini boats were my go to in the beginning, but I really missed picking up a taco and biting into it. Then I discovered taco shells made from cheddar cheese and life got even better.
Yep, you read that right, I’m going to share my simple hack for turning shredded cheddar cheese into cheesy taco shells. All you need to do it line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or a silicone mat if you have one, and then drop little piles of shredded cheddar cheese on to the sheet. For taco shells I suggest using about 3oz of cheese per shell.
Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake at 350F for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the edges begin to brown.
Then comes the fun part. To shape the tacos you are going to set up a little station. Use two glasses and sit a thick handled spoon (or whatever utensil you have) across the glasses. You’ll want the handle to be thick enough that it will leave a space of about 3/4″ in the curve of your taco. It doesn’t have to be precise! Let the cheese cool for a minute then lift it off of the baking sheet and drape it over the spoon handle. Let it cool completely, this only takes about 5 minutes, and you have a low carb taco shell!
Now you just need something to fill that shell with. Of course you’re going to want some meat. Ground beef is great but to make an even better taco I like to use a mixture of ground beef, and ground chorizo. You’ll also want some veggies. I change mine up all the time based on what my Walmart has in their fresh vegetables section but my favorites, if I can them are avocado, lettuce, and lime. A little jalapeno never hurts either!
I cook the ground beef and chorizo in a skillet until the meat is cooked through, then I pour the grease off and add a can of drained RO*TEL. RO*TEL makes this recipe so simple because I don’t have to worry about adding a ton of other spices. I just cook the meat and RO*TEL mixture, adding a little salt to taste, until all the flavors have melded together. When the meat is ready I fill cheddar cheese taco shells with it, then top them with diced avocados, jalapeno, sour cream, and shredded lettuce. I give them a little squeeze of lime to brighten everything up and I’m done. Of course you can add anything else you like on your tacos. Then grab it and take a bite. You may never go back to regular tacos again!
- ½ lb. Ground Beef
- ½ lb Ground Chorizo
- ½ packet Taco seasoning
- 1 can RO*TEL
- Salt to taste
- 2 c Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Toppings for taco: Sour cream, avocado, cheese, lettuce, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat place 2-3oz piles of cheese 2 inches apart. Press the cheese down lightly so it makes one layer.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until the edges of the cheese are brown.
- Let the cheese cool for 2-3 minutes then lift it up and place it over the handle of a spoon or other utensil that is balanced on two cups.
- Let cheese cool completely then remove.
- While you continue to bake your cheese taco shells place the ground beef and ground chorizo in a skillet over medium high heat cooking until it is completely cooked through.
- Drain the grease from the meat and then add the can of RO*TEL and half of a packet of taco seasoning.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then salt to taste.
- Add meat to taco shells and top with your favorite taco toppings.
Looking for more easy low cab recipes? Try these!