Creamed Spinach with Bacon
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #IndulgenceDoneRight #CollectiveBias
This Creamed Spinach with Bacon recipe is a traditional creamed spinach recipe taken to the next level with crisp bacon and gooey cheese.
I love the holidays. They are all about getting together with family, spending time together, and, if you’re anything like my family, lots and lots of food! Personally my favorite part of any holiday meal are the sides. I bet you thought I was going to say dessert didn’t you? The truth is a good Thanksgiving side like Creamed Spinach with Bacon beats a pumpkin pie any day.
This Creamed Spinach with Bacon is my own recipe.I consider myself a bit of a creamed spinach connoisseur. If it’s on a menu then you can be sure I’m ordering it. I have this restaurant I love to go to that has amazing steaks and the best creamed spinach! With Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner just around the corner I’ve been playing around with different versions of creamed spinach trying to reproduce theirs and what I end up with was even better. Love it when that happens!
Creamed Spinach is all about rich, creamy sauce and the key to mine is using half & half. I recently discovered Land O’Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half in the dairy section at Walmart when I was picking up half & half for my morning coffee. It’s an extra rich blend of real milk and cream that was so good in my coffee it made me wonder if it would work in my creamed spinach recipe. It turned out sooo good! The extra richness from the cream in Land O’Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half makes the creamy, cheesy sauce for my Creamed Spinach with Bacon totally decadent.
The recipe is really simple. You saute finely diced shallot and garlic in butter and sprinkle it with a little flour to make a roux. Then you slowly add the Land O’Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half, whisking it until it begins to thicken. That creamy sauce is delicious right then but you know I have to take it to the next level so in goes the white cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, and crumbled bacon. Are you sold on it now?! To the sauce you add fresh, steamed spinach. Stir it all together and then serve immediately with a garnish of fried onions and a sprinkle of bacon. Seriously guys, this Creamed Spinach with Bacon is amazing and it’s going to be the star Thanksgiving side dish on this year’s menu
Creamed Spinach with Bacon
- 25 oz Fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Shallot, , finely diced
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1.5 c Land O’Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half
- 1/2 c White cheddar cheese, , shredded
- 1/4 c Parmesan, , shredded
- Salt to taste
- 6 strips Bacon, , cooked and divided
- 2 tbsp Fried onions, , optional garnish
- Steam fresh baby spinach until wilted and tender.
- Squeeze all of the excess liquid from the spinach.
- In a skillet over medium heat melt butter then add shallots and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until shallots become translucent.
- Sprinkle flour into skillet whisking for 1-2 minutes until flour lightly browns.
- Slowly add the half & half, whisking continuously until the sauce begins to thicken, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in white cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese. Dice up 4 of the bacon strips and add to the cheese sauce. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Salt to taste.
- Add spinach to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately with a garnish of the last two slices of bacon chopped, and crispy fried onions.
Whether it is an extra rich, extra creamy, perfect morning coffee or an awesome Creamed Spinach with Bacon make sure you experience new Land O’Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half yourself. The next time you’re in Walmart look for it in the dairy section.