Chili Dog Sliders
Chili dog sliders take all the things you love about about chili dogs and puts them between delicious slider buns. It’s a fun meal that is perfect for feeding a crowd!
Chili dogs are kinda my thing. I love the combo of chili, onion, and cheese piled on top of a good hot dog and covered in mustard. Yum!
This variation is perfect for game day gatherings. Put all of the ingredients needed for the ultimate chili dog on soft, fluffy slider buns, bake and serve.
It’s perfect for feeding a hungry crowd watching the game or for feeding a hungry family on a busy weeknight.
We’ve added this to the list of the BEST slider recipes so make sure to check it out and try out some of our other creations as well!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Slider buns – We typically use Hawaiian rolls but you can use your favorite brand of slider-sized buns.
- Chili – We have so many awesome chilis for you to choose from! Smoky chipotle chili, pale ale beer chili, Cincinnati chili…you can even save time and make chili in the Instant Pot. You can also pick some chili up at the grocery store if you’re in a hurry.
- Cooked hot dogs – You can cook them as you like and use your preferred brand.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – You could use a different cheese.
- Onion – You can use red, white, or yellow, whichever you prefer.
- Butter – Salted or unsalted work fine.
Step 1 – Prepare oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2 – Prepare the buns. Carefully cut the slider buns in half, setting the top of the buns to the side. Place the bottom halves on a baking sheet.
Step 3 – Prepare the dogs. Cut each hot dog in half lengthwise and then in half widthwise.
Step 4 – Assemble. Next, place 3 hot dog slices on each slider bun, or as many as you need to cover the bread. Use a spoon or slotted spoon for really liquidy chilis to help remove some of the liquid before spooning it over the hot dogs. Top the chili with cheddar cheese and onions.
Step 5 – Cover and bake. Before securing aluminum foil on top, place the top buns on top of everything.
Bake the sliders for 15 minutes before removing the foil, brushing with butter, and then returning to the oven to bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese has completely melted.
Serve warm from the oven and enjoy!
What Chili Should I Use?
Any kind of chili works! And if you don’t want to use a can (we can’t blame you there!), we have a bunch of awesome recipes including our:
Of course, you can also use your favorite store brand if you prefer. It is definitely an easy option..
One thing to keep in mind, if your chili has a lot of liquid, you’ll want to scoop it out with a slotted spoon to drain a bit of the liquid out before adding it to the dogs. This will keep your bread from getting too soggy.
Feel free to load up chili dogs as you see fit. Personally, we love adding a squirt of mustard over the chili before baking because no hot dog is complete without it.
You can add whatever toppings you might add to a hot dog, like:
You can also load them up with more cheese, tortilla pieces, jalapeno wheels, fresh cilantro, or anything else you might add to a chili.
Can I Make It Ahead of Time?
Yes, sort of. You can make the chili a day or two ahead and cook up the dogs ahead of time too. Just make sure to wait to assemble the chili dogs until you are ready to serve them. Putting them together too soon can cause the buns to get soggy.
Also, make sure you warm up both the dogs and the chili before assembling the sliders. If you don’t, you could over bake the bread and not heat them all the way through.
Looking for More Easy Slider Recipes?
- Easy Meatball Sliders
- Ham Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sliders
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders
- Chicken Parmesan Sliders
- Chicken Cheesesteak Sliders
- Lasagna Sliders
- Beer Brat Sliders
- Short Rib Sliders
- More Slider Recipes…
Chili Dog Sliders
- 12 Slider buns
- 3 cups Chili
- 8 Cooked Hot dogs
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut slider buns in half setting the tops of the buns to the side.
- Place bottom buns on a baking sheet.
- Cut hot dogs in half lengthwise and then in half widthwise
- Place 3 hot dog slices on each slider bun, or as many as you need to cover the bread.
- Coat hot dogs in a layer of chili.
- Top with cheddar cheese and onions.
- Place top buns on top of everything.
- Cover the sliders with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and brush buns with melted butter.
- Bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.